Monday, December 14, 2015

I sent email to Wendy Swift on wednesday, that I would come tomorrow after school. She replied that it was okay. So I went to the writing center the next day. It was located in the upstairs of Humanities. There was one big room, and two smaller offices. In the big room, there was on table with chairs around it and behind the table, there was a sofa. Wendy Swift was in her office with two other students and one student sitting at the table waiting for her turn. She said that she was busy too busy right now and she told me to come back tomorrow on my free period. When I went there the next day, she had one other student whom she was reading a book with. She told her to continue reading by herself, and she came to help me. She wrote my name on a piece of paper. Then we sat down at the table and started reading my story right away from my ipad. I was reading it out loud and she was listening and reading it from my ipad at the same time. After we read the story, she told me that it was really good and grammatically correct. One thing that she noticed that I had written wrong, was that I had written Thanksgiving with a lowercase t. After that we started to discuss the actual story. She helped me in a few aspects, like asking why did something happen or why was my main character thinking that way. For example, when I wrote that my main character would like to know Sookan better, Wendy Swift told me to tell more about that why would she like to know Sookan better. She also helped me by suggesting that I should include more specific examples from the book Gathering of Pearls. In one chapter, I told that my main character told her story to Marci while eating breakfast, Wendy Swift told me to write more about my characters story and about her history. After that she promised to send an email to my English teacher, Jennifer Guarino, that I came there. The visit to the writing center took about five minutes. It was good to get some feedback on my story and to hear that what someone else thinks about it. Wendy Swift was really kind person I was glad to meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment