Friday, November 13, 2015

Words

Mannequin:    A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin.
     -A doll for clothes

Second-hand:    To save money, I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price, and I was careful not to use too many notebooks.
     -Used, not so good quality

Animatedly:    Many of our classmates were there, with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.
     -full of life

Faltered:    "Marci"—Mrs. Gannon faltered—"I just want you to look pretty for your formal dinners at the dining hall.
     -talking unclearly

Impulsive:    She would acknowledge that I had done something impulsive, but would say that it was okay.
     -something great and impressive

Constrained:    But maybe that was why I had wanted to leave home for a while; I had always felt constrained there.
     -forced to do something

Gregorian chant:    A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.
     -song type that is usually religious

Pearl:    The pearl necklace and wishbone pin would really stand out against the black velvet.
     -small round "ball" that is usually made by clams and used in jewelry

Elope:    I just want to elope and get our lives started now!
     -run away

Taciturn:    I would write to each of my taciturn brothers, even though they had never written to me.
     -silent, doesn't talk much

Sobbed:     I pulled the covers over my head, and sobbed until I fell asleep.
     -breath hardly

Pouch:    In a silk pouch that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band.
     -bag

Listlessly:    As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear, "I love you, Sookan."
     -not interested

Hymn:    I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.
     -religious song

Fainted:    You fainted two days ago and you've been here ever since.
     -Pass out

No comments:

Post a Comment