Thursday, October 29, 2015

A lot of words:


Melancholy: adjective
                     I felt melancholy after reading Mother's letter.
                     Sadness, depression

Imposing:  verb
                  I knew how Mother hated imposing on her children.
                  Rule,

Stroll:  noun
           I drew in a deep breath of the deliciously fragrant air, picturing my stroll along the stream with Sarah and Jimmy.
           Walk

Transformed:  verb
                       What a grand surprise to see our neglected greenhouse transformed into a lovely little garden.
                        Change
Greenhouse:   Noun
                        What a grand surprise to see our neglected greenhouse transformed into a lovely little garden.
                       Room or house where you grow plants        

Neglected: verb
                   What a grand surprise to see our neglected greenhouse transformed into a lovely little garden.
                   Not taken care of

Mixer:   Noun
            All the other girls in the dorm were still fast asleep, recovering from the excitement of the mixer the night before.
            Party

Invigorated:  verb
                     I was shocked to hear Marci say these things, but strangely invigorated.
                     Exited, energized

Oddball: noun
                I feel like an oddball wherever I am.
                 Different

Pretentious:  adjective
                     She had once told me she thought the dress code and the formality were "ridiculously pretentious" and a waste of time.
                      Useless

Fulfilling:  verb
                Ever since I was little, she has told me that she wants me to work alongside her, and lead a worthy and fulfilling life as she does.
                Satisfying

Rambled:  verb
                 It's so pretty," Ellen rambled, "and I want to show you off."
                  Say

Frankly:  adjective
               I think it is because your culture encourages people to speak openly and frankly." I looked at Ellen helplessly.
               Honestly

Horrified:  adjective
                I was horrified.
                Scared, worried

Demerit:  noun
               I had never gotten a single demerit before!
                Official note

Humility:  noun
                Here, they do not place so much emphasis on patience, humility, family harmony, and silence as we do in Korea.
                Humble

Harmony: noun
                 Here, they do not place so much emphasis on patience, humility, family harmony, and silence as we do in Korea.
                 Pleasing  agreement,

Ambassador:  noun
                       You have become quite an excellent ambassador for your country, and have made lots of friends, I hear."
                        Liked, popular

Farmhouse: noun
                    The next day, Ellen and I took the train to her parents' farmhouse in New Jersey.
                     House in a farm

Acres: noun
            We have sixteen acres here.
            Measurment of area

No comments:

Post a Comment